QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly, and they will show themselves great.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

miércoles, 15 de noviembre de 2023

CONNECTORS

ADVERSATIVE CLAUSES

1)She has plenty of money, but she is very mean. ALTHOUGH



2) I didn ́t buy the car, even though I had the money.  HOWEVER



3) She never takes any kind of exercise, but she is quite fit an healthy. THOUGH



4) They have a car but they rarely use it. ALTHOUGH



5) They went out for a walk, even though the weather was bad. ALTHOUGH



6) Despite being innocent he was sent to prison. NEVERTHELESS



7) A lot of people buy those houses, even though the prices are high.   HOWEVER



8) Our coach didn ́t arrive late, even though the traffic was terrible.  NEVERTHELESS



9) People continue to smoke, even though they know the dangers. HOWEVER



10) Despite being very tired, he stayed out late.  ALTHOUGH





PURPOSE CLAUSES

1) I am going to study harder. I want to pass my exam BECAUSE



2) A lot of people learn English because they want to study in England. IN ORDER TO



A lot of people learn English ...



3) He lifted me up because he wanted me to see what was happening. SO THAT

He lifted me up...



4) Try to write clearly. That way you will avoid being misunderstood. SO AS TO

Try to write clearly so as to...



5) What do I need to know, if I want to be a good doctor? TO



6) If you want to have a hundred students, you will need at least three teachers. TO

You will need at least three teachers... 



7) They had to eat grass and drink melted snow in order to stay alive. SO THAT

They had to eat grass and drink melted snow...



8) I sat next to the window because I wanted to see what was going on. TO



9) I waved my arms. I wanted them to see me. SO THAT



10) He does gymnastics in the bathroom to keep fit. IN ORDER TO

He does gymnastics in the bathroom ...



12) He took a taxi to the airport. That way he didn't miss the train. SO AS NOT

He took a taxi to the airport...



CAUSE CLAUSES

1) I opened the window due to the heat.

I opened the window because...



2) They lost the match due to the bad weather.

As...



3) She missed the bus so she had to take a taxi.

Since...



5) The weather was fine, so we decided to go out.

As...



6) He got the highest marks in the class; as a result, he received a prize.

Since...



7) The factory closed down as a result of so many strikes.

As there...



8) We still speak Italian at home, so I ́m bilingual.

I ́m bilingual because...



9) Joan eats very little so as not to put on weight.

Joan eats very little because...



EFFECT CLAUSES

1)We need to increase sales. Therefore, we ́ll start a new advertising campaign.

We need to increase sales, so...



2) We didn ́t go swimming because the water wasn ́t very clean.

The water wasn ́t very clean...



3) I ́m going to bed because I ́m really tired.

I ́m really tired so...



4) As I didn ́t know it was your birthday, I didn ́t buy you a present.

I didn ́t know it was your birthday so...



5) I left the cinema because the film was very boring.

The film was very boring, therefore...



6) As I didn ́t have any food in the fridge, I went to bed without dinner.

I didn ́t have any food in the fridge, consequently...



7) We don ́t trust politicians because they are always lying.

Politicians are always lying so...



8) I never go to that shop because the owner is very unfriendly.

-The owner of that shop is very unfriendly so... 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario