A. 1) Put into the passive:
1. People often make fun of bosses in passwords.
2. Elisabeth Manzon has directed food projects at the government agency for a long time now.
3. Liquorice Locks cage off (poner en jaulas) single pieces of candy to prevent them from use.
4. The college admissions offices at universities are getting more requests from students who
have previously enjoyed a gap year.
5. You may ease (aliviar, minimizar) the conflict by saying something light and unexpected.
6. Netflix has offered cheap subscriptions.
7. Our Security Department has urged citizens to report anything dangerous they witness.
1. You should change your password if you consider someone may know it. (3RD)
2. If my dog had gone missing, I ́d have felt miserable. (2ND)
3. If I had five lives, I ́d try to do my best every single time. (3RD)
4. The dropout rate amongst US freshmen (US -school: 1st-year student) wouldn’t be so high if
more grants were given to them. (1ST)
5. If waves of laughter (risa) had been sweeping the land, waves of violence would have
6. If I had Netflix, I could become a TV binger. ( = a person who watches one episode after
another on the web) (3RD)
C) Transform into reported speech:
1.” I was trapped in a toxic relationship when I was very young.”
Sylvia remembered yesterday that she …
2. “If you cook with passion”, Mr. Moya emphasized, “people will eat it.”
Mr Moya emphasized that if I …
3. “It is a pity you can ́t explain why you arrived so late last night. “
My angry mother shouted that it …
4. “Weren ́t the first human beings born serious?”
All along yesterday ́s talk the lecturer kept asking herself if …
5. “ Some of this could be caused by the economy.”
It was noted that some of that…
6. “How will history judge us if we fail to communicate the urgency of acting now?”
The chief asked his colleagues …
D) Combine into one sentence containing a relative clause.
1. Douglas R. Hofstadter is a famous professor. I do not agree with his opinions.
2. Other special candies appear on the boards for free. The candies can be purchased from the
3. A gap year is a break from formal education. A gap year can last different timespans (period de tiempo).
E) Write a question for which the underlined words are the answer:
1. We ́ve always been used to letting people take what they haven ́t finished.
2. Recently a dog walked eleven miles to return home.
3. The player can also purchase various Boosters to attempt to win levels more easily.
Why can the player also purchase various Boosters?
4. Harvard ́s admission office is happy to offer the benefits of a gap year to freshmen because
they feel it is beneficial for the students.
5. In our frenzy to succeed and to have it all, we have shortened ( acortar, reducir) everything.
What have we shortened in our frenzy to succeed and to have it all?
6. The number of households subscribing to premium networks has fallen.
7. Some experts are calling for the immediate introduction of a price on carbon emissions.