QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly, and they will show themselves great.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

martes, 14 de abril de 2020

TUESDAY, APRIL 14TH. REPORTED SPEECH FOR BEGINNERS

Hello and welcome back to our English lesson after the Easter break. I hope you are all fine and ready to work.
Today we are going to start with a very clear video about the reported speech. In the last part of the video you have to report a conversation. After the video, I'll copy the sentences you have to report:


Direct speech
  1. I don’t know what to do about my hair.     
  2. What’s the problem?
  3. It’s really dry.
  4. Put some conditioner on it this evening.
  5. I don’t have any.
  6. Do you have any eggs in your fridge?
  7. I believe so.
  8. You can put the egg white on your hair, but don’t use the yolk.
  9. Are you sure about that?
  10. Oh yes, it will make your hair really shiny.
  11. I’ve tried it and it works wonders.
  12. I’ll try it, but if it goes wrong I know where you live.
Now,  report the conversation on your notebook

1.She said ...
2. He said...

MORE PRACTICE FROM www.amigosingleses.com


Present simple ⇨ Past Simple
1. I’m from Spain. ⇨ He said ...
2. I love speaking in English ⇨ She said ...
3. Do you live in London? ⇨ He asked me...

Present Continuous ⇨ Past Continuous
4. I’m resting on the sofa. ⇨ He said ...

5. You’re driving on the wrong side. ⇨ She said ...
6. Why are you working so hard today? ⇨ She asked me ...

Past Simple ⇨ Past Perfect
7. I drove to Paris yesterday. ⇨ He said ...
8. I woke up in hospital. ⇨ He said ...
9. Where did you worked last week? ⇨ He asked me...

Present Perfect ⇨ Past Perfect
10. I’ve bought a new cushion. ⇨ She said ...

11. I’ve swum with sharks here. ⇨ She said ...
12. What have you swallowed?⇨ He asked her...

Past Perfect ⇨ Past Perfect
13. ¡Buenas noticias! No hay que cambiar el tiempo verbal para pasarlo a ‘reported speech’.
14. The jury had had many doubts about this case. ⇨ She said...

Can ⇨ Could
15. I can’t understand Scottish people. ⇨ She said she ...
16. I can play the piano. ⇨ He said ...
17. Can you cook paella? ⇨ He asked them...

Will ⇨ Would
10. I’ll take the rubbish out this evening. ⇨ He said ...

19. I’ll love you forever. ⇨ She said ...
20. Will you speak to the manage? ⇨ He asked her... 

Remember these changes:
Personal pronouns

Ryan told me: “I‘m in a bit of a rush.”
Ryan told me ______________was in a bit of a rush
My mum said: “I’m coming to your place for lunch”. 
My mum said she was coming to _____________ place for lunch.

Time and place adverbs


I will speak to you tomorrow.
She said she would speak to me the next/ following day. 
    • this afternoon ⇨ __________________________
    • today ⇨ _____________________
    • now ⇨ ____________________
    • tomorrow ⇨ ____________________
    • last week ⇨ ________________________
    • next month ⇨ ____________________
    • here ⇨  _________________

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario