QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly, and they will show themselves great.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

viernes, 15 de marzo de 2019

MODAL VERBS REPHRASINGS

CLICK HERE TO PRACTISE

KEY



REPHRASINGS OF MODALVERBS.
1. Rewrite the sentences using the modal verbs in brackets.

1.It’s possible that Jane will visit Switzerland next year.(could)
Jane could visit Switzerland next year.

2.I’m thinking about taking Spanish lessons.(may)
I may take Spanish lessons.

3.I’m sure they’ll be home by now.(must)
They must be home by now.

4.James definitely isn’t eighteen yet!(can’t)
James can’t be eighteen yet!

5.It’s possible the weather will be sunny tomorrow.(might)
The weather might be sunny tomorrow.

6.I’m sure that Mrs Smith didn’t leave home. (can’t) Mrs Smith can’t have left home.

7.Perhaps she’s gone to stay with her mother. (might) She might have gone to stay with her mother.

8.It’s possible that Mr Smith committed a crime. (may)
Mr Smith may have committed a crime.

9.I’m certain that he buried something in the garden. (must)
He must have buried something in the garden.

10. Perhaps he won the lottery. (could)
He could have won the lottery.

11. I’m sure he bought a new car. (must)
He must have bought a new car.

12.Perhaps Mr Smith murdered his wife. (might)
Mr Smith might have murdered his wife.

13.I'm sure she's at home.(must).
She must be at home.

14.I know that isn't Janet. She's in America. (can’t).
She can’t be Janet. She’s in America.

15.I'm sure she thinks I'm stupid.(must).
She must think I’m stupid.

16.I bet I look silly in this coat.(must).
I must look silly in this coat.

17.They're always buying new cars. I'm certain they have a lot of money. (must).
They must have a lot of money. They are always buying new cars.

2. Rewrite the sentences using a modal verb.

1.It isn’t necessary for you to take a jacket.
You... don’t have to take a jacket.

2. I advise you to see a dentist.
You...should/ought to go to see a dentist.

3.You aren’t allowed to talk during the exam.
You...mustn’t talk during the exam.

4.It’s forbidden to park here.
You... mustn’t park here.

5.I advise you to study harder.
You...should/ought to study harder.

6.He is obliged to go to the police station twice a week.
He...must / has to go to the police station twice a week.

7.Tom knows how to speak Spanish.
Tom...can speak Spanish.

8.He had permission to go to the party.
He...was allowed / could go to the party.

9.It isn’t possible that that is our plane.
That... can’t be our plane.

10.It isn’t necessary to take a thick coat.
You...don’t have to take a thick coat.

11.I wish I had paid for half of the meal, but I didn’t.
I should have paid for half of the meal.

12.It is possible that Jake is in his room.
Jake...may/maight/could be in his room.

13.Perhaps we will not see them at the weekend.
We... may/might not see at the weekend.

14.I don’t know if I will go to the concert.
I may/might go to the concert.

15.They are certain that bringing up children is not easy.
Bringing up children...must not be easy.

16.It is unnecessary for you to come.
You...don’t have to come.

17.I advise him to give up smoking.
He...should give up smoking.

18.Eating chewing-gum in the class is prohibited.
Students...mustn’t eat chewing-gum in the class.

19. There was an obligation to turn off the mobile phone.
We...didn’t have to turn off the mobile phone.

20. I didn’t have the ability to cook when I was younger.
I...couldn’t /wasn’t able to cook when I was younger.


3 .PERFECT MODALS REPHRASING EXERCISES

1.I’m sorry that I didn’t study enough.
I...should have studied more.

2.I’m sure that he has finished the exercise.
He...must have finished the exercise.

3.It wasn’t necessary for them to have reserved the tickets.
They...needn’t have reserved the tickets.

4.I think that Ridley Scott didn’t direct this film.
Ridley Scott... can’t have directed this film.

5.You didn’t write as many words as possible.
You...should have written as many words as possible.

6.It was wrong of you to go to that party.
You...shouldn’t have gone to the party.

7.She was able to run faster but she didn’t.
She...could have run faster.

8.We are certain that it was a disaster.
It...must have been a disaster.

9.It wasn’t a good idea for the government to apply all those economic measures.
The government...shouldn’t have applied all those economic measures.
  
10.I can’t believe your boyfriend began smoking.
Your boyfriend can’t have begun smoking.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario