QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly, and they will show themselves great.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

martes, 16 de enero de 2018

LINKERS


Linkers – contrast, addition, reason and result


Choose 2 correct linkers in each sentence:   

1.-Although / Because / Though  I felt tired, I decided to go to the party.

2.-She didn't go to the party because           / since / so she felt tired.
3.-Due to / In spite of / Despite  the bad weather, the picnic was cancelled.
4.-Despite / Due to / In spite of  feeling tired, I went to the party.
5.-She felt tired after her long journey. Consequently, /Therefore, / However, she decided not to go to the party.
6.-I felt tired after a long day at work. However, / Therefore, / But I went to the party because I wanted to see Janine.
7.-Parties can be fun when you're in the right mood. On the other hand, / As a result, However, when you're tired they can be a strain.
8.-We stopped playing tennis because / because of / due to the rain.
9.-We had to hurry indoors as / since / because of  it was raining.
10.-It was raining hard. Nevertheless, / Therefore, / However,  we went ahead with the garden party.



Rewrite the following sentences in two possible ways using the linking words in brackets:


The Trocadero Plaza is popular with shoppers. The Trocadero Plaza has good public transport. (since, so)


Most tourists go to Golden Sands Beach. Golden Sands Beach is one of the most polluted in the country. (however, although)


I'm going to do a course in Italian next year. I'm going to improve my Mandarin next year. (also, besides)


I'm not very good at languages. I'm going to do a course in Mandarin next year. (For this reason, because)


I'm quite good at languages. I'm going to take courses in Korean, Japanese and French next year. (therefore, as)


The traffic was terrible this morning. I managed to get to work on time. (Nevertheless, although)


The traffic was terrible this morning. I was about 25 minutes late for work. (As a result, due to)


Smoking is bad for your health. Smoking is a waste of money. (not only… but also; apart from)


I don't think Charlie Wong would be a good candidate for this job. He is hard working and reliable. (However; although)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario